Mille Gradi° Rosso Toscano Sangiovese
In August of 2019, the Grimaldi’s Food and Beverage team returned to Italy to hand select a new vintage of Mille Gradi° Rosso Toscano Sangiovese. They also added to Grimaldi’s proprietary Mille Gradi° wine brand by creating a new Mille Gradi° Pinot Grigio wine to complement our famous coal-brick oven pizza. Mille Gradi° was created at the renowned Rocca delle Macìe estate in collaboration with its owner, Sergio Zingarelli. These wines were hand selected by the Grimaldi’s team at the Rocca del Macie Estate in Castellina in Chianti. Mille Gradi° means “1,000 Degrees” in Italian, alluding to Grimaldi’s hot coal fired brick-ovens. The new Rosso Toscano Sangiovese vintage is uniquely Tuscan and made from 100% Sangiovese grapes which are known for their amazing pairing with Pizza.
- Region: Tuscany, Italy – Castellina in Chianti
- Producer: Rocca delle Macìe
- Appellation: Rosso Toscano IGT
- Varietal: 100% Sangiovese
- Alcohol: 13%
- Residual Sugar: 5.3 g/l
- PH: 3.55
This wine is made with carefully selected and ripened grapes, vinified with the latest controlled fermentation techniques to keep the temperature constant. This wine is ready for bottling in the spring following harvest to preserve all of its distinctive freshness acquired during fermentation.
- Visual: Ruby red, brilliant with violet reflections.
- Smell: Intense, ripe berry fruits.
- Taste: Smooth and refreshing with ripe cherry notes and good structure.
- Chef’s Recommendation: A versatile wine that is perfect with Grimaldi’s Coal Brick Oven Pizza, from the Chef’s Selection Pizza “The Don” featuring Italian sausage, meatballs and pepperoni atop a traditional coal fired pizza to Classic Pepperoni. Also very pleasant to drink by itself.
Mille Gradi° Pinot Grigio
Introducing the new Mille Gradi° Pinot Grigio, another tantalizing wine created with Rocca delle Macìe. The new Pinot Grigio is made from 100% Pinot Grigio grapes from the Provicia di Pavia, delivering a well-balanced and crisp Italian Wine that is a compliment to Salads and Pizzas alike.
- Region: Provincia di Pavia, Italy
- Producer: Rocca delle Macie
- Varietal: 100% Pinot Grigio
- Alcohol: 13%
- Residual Sugar: 0.5 g/l
- PH: 3.40
The juice, after about two hours of maceration is separated from the skins though gentle pressing and then fermented at 68˚F for about 12 days. The bottling take place after the microfiltration.
- Visual: Intense, bright straw with golden-copper highlights.
- Smell: Elegant and intense with notes of flowers and fruit like fresh apple and peach.
- Taste: Well-balanced with great structure and a crisp and pleasant finish.
- Chef’s Recommendation: Pairs perfectly with Grimaldi’s antipasto, Caesar salad, white pizza with garlic or Garden Pesto pizza. Not only will Mille Gradi° Rosso Toscano Sangiovese and Pinot Grigio pair perfectly with coal brick-oven pizza, they are also fantastic wines for both wine lovers and novices alike. Salute!!
For 40 years the Zingarelli Family has dedicated themselves to crafting the finest wines, providing meticulous attention to the vineyards, and championing the Sangiovese grape and the Chianti Classico DOCG. The family aims to produce elegant wines that are always expressive of their unique terroir. Today, Rocca delle Macìe is run by Sergio Zingarelli, along with his wife, Daniela, and children, Andrea and Guilia. In 1973, Sergio restored the Rocca delle Macìe property with his father, Italo. It is thanks to Sergio’s commitment and foresight that Rocca delle Macìe has not only enhanced its reputation but has also increased in size, with six estates across 1,500 acres in Tuscany, 200 of which are under vine and 22 of which are given over to the cultivation of olives.
Rocca delle Macìe is one of the most successful producers of Chianti Classico in the world. Quality is a priority: organic fertilization, careful pruning, the introduction of small oak barriques for aging, and harvesting by hand are just some of the practices Sergio instituted at the estate.
Sergio, a two-time chairman of the of the Chianti Classico Consorzio, is a strong advocate for the terroir of Chianti Classico and the Sangiovese grape. Rocca delle Macìe is one of the few Tuscan wineries with a DOCG at the very top of their quality pyramid, proving Sergio’s commitment to the region.